MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-05-2001, 07:43 PM
Jeff Sanders

Working Micarta

Please, I need some advice on working with micarta.
I know the stuff is not to good for ya and was wondering some of the techniques for working with it.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-05-2001, 08:49 PM
dogman

Respirator, respirator, respirator.

It drill and sands very easy and is super stable. Don't run your betls too fast when you are sanding it or it will burn the micarta, especially on the finer grit belts.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:19 AM
Jeff Sanders

So just a respirater, do some work it wet ?.if so how.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:30 AM
Don Cowles

No need to work it wet, but as Bob said, run your (sharp) belts slower to keep from burning it, and don't breathe the dust. If you don't have a variable speed grinder, you can do a lot of initial shaping with coarse half-round files. I have made many a handle that way.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:59 AM
primos

You'll want to pay very close attention to the heat buildup in the pins, bolts, or whatever you are using to secure the handle. I believe that's probably what the working wet thing might be about. I've seen makers get agressive on the grinder, and dunk the handle periodically in a bucket of water to keep the pin stock cool. If you've ever seen a Micarta handle with little discolored rings around the pins or bolts, that's a sign of overheating. The pins got hot enough to burn the surrounding Micarta.

Micarta is actually pretty easy over heat if you get in a hurry at the grinder. The possibility of overheating becomes greater as you get into finer belts. And like everyone has already said, use sharp belts.

Don't lean into it like you're grinding a piece of steel. Take little bits at a time. When you burn the stuff, you're generally screwed because the discoloration can go so deep that you can't sand it out. Don's idea of initially removing stock with a coarse half-round file sounds pretty good.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:06 PM
MJHKNIVES

Like Dogman said,respirator,but get two stage cartridges,ierganic vapor/formaldehyde,and get cotton prefilters to go with them.The dust is bad,but as it is heated while working it gives off those two gases.After you finish grinding,vacuum yourself off,as the dust on you contains phenol and formaldehyde and will absorb thru the skin.If you have pets that travel through the shop,clean it good also,as this stuff is real bad for cats or dogs.Store the respirator in a ziploc bag after use and it will last a lot longer.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:28 AM
Jeff Sanders

Thanks for the info.

I will be working it by hand(sanding and filing) mostly, and probably on a regular grinder.I really like micarta handles.
Thanks again.