MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 02-22-2002, 04:24 PM
Bill Foote

Re: more business stuff

Seems someone else has every company name I think up, that's the only holdback now. www.bizfilings.com is very easy to work with, but the rest is on hold till I find a name that's not taken. That website and a good CPA as Les and Jerry suggested made it pretty easy. It cost $350.00 plus CPA fees. Subchapter S used to be the best way, now an LLC seems to be the best, for me, anyway. It's relatively new.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:41 AM
Bill Foote

Re: more business stuff

received Jerry Fisk's book. Highly Recommendable!
Thanks, Jerry. My new business name.....
Sharp Reflections LLC
Bill
Old 03-30-2002, 05:26 PM
aiiifish

business stuff

LLC's are great you have corprate type protection with the benifits of a sole propriater ie. only taxed once, no board elections ect. You can get the paperwork to set up a LLC from your states secretary of state, find an atty to recieve your process and mail the form back. In mississippi it cost a grand total of 50.00. Do it yourself and save 300.00. Also ,at least in my state, you can DBA [doing business as] under your LLC. Name the LLC what ever you want then on your business licence you put what you want your knife business called. ie. superfine LLC Dba john smith knifemaker. You still have the same protection.

Steve
Double S Custom
Old 04-16-2002, 12:49 AM
polarbearforge

Re: business stuff

What about business liability insurance? I can see the advantages of the LLC, and will probably head that way, but I still haven't received a clear answer. I asked a while ago and nobody who responded said that they had it. If you do have it, my insurance contact suggested that I ask if I can find out the provider.

Old 04-16-2002, 10:05 PM
aiiifish

Re: business stuff

My insurance falls under my other business. It's a biohazard reclamation company. I couldnt find insurance for a long time because no one wanted to touch it because of "biohazard". When we listed it as a Specialized Janatorial Service I got insurance no problem. You might try relisting, instead of knife making try say......tool maker. wouldn't be shading the truth it just wouldn't be as specific. Just a thought.

Steve
Double S Custom

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives