MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 01-09-2003, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Planned site changes ... forthcoming

Guys -

This is advanced notice that we're going to be changing up the CKD and forum site over the next several months. Some of this will include changes that we've been planning over the last year, but have not been able to devote the time to the upgrades.

These new changes will not affect your user accounts or posting rights, but will enhance the system for us. Some of this will be designed to address certain user-modification aspects of this and the main site. We have developed a secure way to allow users to post show data directly to the site and will modify this to offer a form of link addition to the links area of the main site.

I realize that we all contribute and we all have a stake in the results to varying degrees. If you have any ideas that you think you would like to see in the next release, post them in this thread and I'll consider them in the re-design.

Thanks

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Hey, this is looking good ... 1 week and not a single request or reply.

You know what this is looking like? ... looking like homey gets to do what he wants! :evil

Whaaaaa ha ha ha ha

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-11-2003, 07:12 AM
Living Legend

I personally did not understand what information you were asking us to provide. Can you expound a little?

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 01-11-2003, 08:17 AM

Wink Clear as mud!

Quote:
Originally posted by CKDAdmin
We have developed a secure way to allow users to post show data directly to the site and will modify this to offer a form of link addition to the links area of the main site.
It's all Greek to me....! :confused:

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-11-2003, 09:04 AM

Alex,

Do what you want, and we'll complain later! :evil

Bob Sigmon

PS - I didn't get it either!
Old 01-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Bob ...

I know that's right!

Basically, I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions that they would like for us to consider with the next CKD main site and CKDF upgrade.

We have some that we want to do already, but anything you recommend will be considered too.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Living Legend

One thing that kinda bothers me is that we save the old posts for reference but a lot of the pictures that were there are no longer available.

I went back looking for something the other day and the pictures were gone because the person that posted them removed them from their site or they were posted to a site that does not support image links. I would like to see the posts remain complete if possible.

I also went back to look at a post I made on the forum BEFORE we moved to this format and could not find the post, or any post from before the move to this forum. I have my sear set to "From the Beginning" but I can find the very early stuff.

Old 01-12-2003, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Quote:
You know what this is looking like? ... looking like homey gets to do what he wants!

Alex? Homey? Ha ha ha ha!!!!!

jloose.com

Old 01-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Bob,

It's going to be impossible to keep other user's images in their posts if they shut their services down. I suggest that if any moderators find one that has dead image links that we delete the post altogether, or you can report it to me and I'll delete it.

As far as all the posts from the begining, these were moved over in mass. Nothing was left behind. You may want to refine your search, but you should be able to locate it buried within the topics.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-13-2003, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Warner
One thing that kinda bothers me is that we save the old posts for reference but a lot of the pictures that were there are no longer available.

I went back looking for something the other day and the pictures were gone because the person that posted them removed them from their site or they were posted to a site that does not support image links. I would like to see the posts remain complete if possible.

I also went back to look at a post I made on the forum BEFORE we moved to this format and could not find the post, or any post from before the move to this forum. I have my sear set to "From the Beginning" but I can find the very early stuff.
The historical image problem is something no one can control. Heck, back in 2000-2001 PhotoPoint was in biz with a BUNCH of members posting from there. Goombye!

AS for original posts? I went into the tool forum, sent the time from the beginning and order ascending and I found Geno's original from 12/21/2000 . I dunno, Bob.

Is it possible to use an archive server for posts over a year old and so it wouldn't 'bog down' the current server?

I don't need it, but so many others would take advantage of an in-house photo storage system. Even if it's a click link like BladeForums has right now.

You've heard this over and over, but you asked...

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

It certainly would be much easier for us newbies to post our work here for others to see than to become computer nerds to link and attach and etc. I would rather be making knives. I do have to say, and I told Dennis this in person Satruday in Richmond, I would never be where I am today after 6 kits without the input and help from this forum. If I could post my work here for others to see and critique, it would be easier.

Thanks for letting me have my say and thanks to all of you that have tried to help me over the last few months.

I have had to become a metalworker, woodworker, price shopper of tools and supplies, amateur (and I stress the amateur) photographer, digital imaging editor, image poster, forum reader, searcher, and poster, and all around cutter, sander, buffer, polisher. Alll within the last few months. Thanks to everybody here for their help!

Rusty

(Robert Fisher)
Old 01-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Living Legend

OK, this is taking this thread off track a little but I just went to the search function and searched on "Warner" and the very first post from me was the one I made after we moved to this forum.

Not sure what I am doing wrong but I sure can't find my first post ever.

OK, back to the real topic of this thread.

Old 01-13-2003, 10:04 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Bob,
The vBulletin search doesn't find the user "Bob Warner" entries that were copied over from the old ezBoard, but the posts are there. At least the ones that were still there on the ezBoard forums when everything got copied over.

What I mean is, the ezBoard forums only kept about a 20 page history. Once the number of threads exceeded that in a forum, the oldest ones dropped off.

So in some cases, for big forums with a pile of threads on the old ezBoard forums, some of the the threads were lost on the ezBoard side before we ever came over to vBulletin.

Here's a link to one of your early posts that was originally on the old ezBoard forums, that was copied over:

http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread....&threadid=3924

Like I said, the vBulletin search doesn't find this. It only finds the ones that originated here, not the ones that were copied over from the other forum.

The thread above is a "copy" of your 5th post on the old ezBoard forums, which was made on 12/31/2000.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 01-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Terry,

I think the issue Bob is having is related to "usernames". We moved the threads over before accounts were created, so the names under the posts are correct, but the user status is set to "Guest".

You can search on the string "chain mail" and it will find that post.

Does that sound right Bob?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-13-2003, 11:19 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Right.

I'm in agreement. We're all singing from the same sheet of music.

Well, sort of that is. I did in fact misread Bob's post. I read it as him searching, using the username of "Bob Warner". That won't pick up the old threads. But now I see that he was searching for the string, "Warner".

Searching for the string "Warner" wouldn't have found that particular thread either, because the string "Warner" didn't appear in the thread itself. It was just signed "Bob".

Like you said, searching for a known string will pull up the old threads. For example, if you do a search for the string, "safety AND goggles" you'll find that thread.

The boolean operator "AND" say's to find all threads that contain the words "safety" and "goggles".

Click the banner above to visit my website

Tags
knife, knife making, knives