MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Wiring up Electric for KMG

Im slowly getting my KMG ready to roll. I now need to provide the 220v . I was looking to put a single gang 220 outlet on the wall behind the bench. I was thinking about on the side of the breaker box but realized that it is framed in studs that would have to be drilled thru to get wire into the area needed. So I thought what about below ? its open I believe. Any input would be welcome.

thanks

Dave

Pic was before I thought about the bottom approach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kmgele2.jpg (27.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 09-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Master

Hi Dave,
Drilling through a stud doesn't have to be a deal breaker, I'd place it for ease and convenience.

I may be looking at the picture wrong, but my preference would be to position the grinder away from any panel or open outlet. It won't take long to have metallic grit in every nook and cranny.

Good luck, Craig
Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Guru

Dave, yes the bottom would be more preferable than the sides .I do agree with Craig though, position the outlet away from the grinder to avoid metal dust.Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Master

I third that, keep the grinder away from the panel. It'll get grit everywhere anyway, but no sense letting it fill up the box from close range if you can help it.

That said, my shop is made of cinderblack, so all electrics are routed through conduit on the surface. I kinda like the look myself, so I'd do that before cutting drywall and drilling a stud. But then I'm odd that way, I like the industrial look.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Enthusiast

Use a stud finder to locate the studs in the area where you want the box to go. Then cut about a 12" high strip from stud to stud to make the patch easier and give you plenty of room to work. this also lets you use a metal box and attach firmly to the stud which I would recommend versus a cut in box with wings or tabs since they tend to tear themselves out of the drywall after not much use with larger size(220 volt) receptacles. If the location you picked out is far from the panel or you just don,t want to mess with running through the walls you could also run it exposed with conduit or flex. If your shop is in your garage many homes have a dryer outlet in the garage in which case you can most likely utilize it or even if it is in a utility room within say 50 ft of where your grinder will sit you can use SO cord to make an extension cord which would still allow you to use it. One main thing regardless of which way you decide to do it is to make sure the wire is sized correctly for the distance from the power source(dryer receptacle, or panel).

Max
Old 09-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Boy its just killing me. I have had this new toy for 2 months now and its still not working. Work has been so busy ( AC biz in TX I still have to mount and wire controller.Mount the KMG and motor to bench.Finish running cable to power box and trim it out at the receptacle. I must have spent 100 bucks on wire,box,pvc, fitings and misc just to do the conection ! just need time to finish it it just sits there waiting to be ground on .

Dave
Old 09-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Steel Addict

It may not be code but if you need to grind------ get a piece of SO cord long enough to reach the breaker box and wire it to 2 of the breakers. Leave the cover off( I didn't say that) and do your grinding. If you have small kids around--- don't do that or unwire it when you are done and replace the cover of the box. In most areas they consider it temporary wiring and is allowed for 90 days. Just be safe.

www.rushknives.com
Old 09-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Steel Addict

Leaving the cover off a breaker box in the vicinity of dust-producing equipment is exceedingly dangerous. Fireballs can result and people can die.

Take the time, make the time, to do it the right way - the safe way.