MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 04-28-2007, 07:43 PM

Notes on the April 28th meeting

I just arrived home from the April 2007 meeting of the GCKG. Today was such a GREAT day. It was held just out of Watkinsville at the home / shop of John Costa.

John and Sandy were an outstanding host and hostess. And it did not stop with just them. To make sure the day was a success they had a large number of family members and friends show up to help them make sure the Guild members had all they needed. Thank you, John and Sandy, for all your efforts and hard work. One thing that I really enjoyed was watching the training the Costa's have put into their children come out in public. I had met their youngest son, Harrison, before at TrackRock and (being the grandmother of 2 boys) enjoyed that he is all boy and they allow him that pleasure.

Today I met their daughter, Abbigail. At 8 years old (I think that is what she told me), she set about making sure water, soft drinks, pens and paper, directions to the facilities and a family history was available to all.

Early morning found your Directors hard at work for you.

There was lots of items to be handled, with regular Guild business, our involvement with the Great Southern Knife Show in October at the Cobb Civic Center coming up Oct 13 & 14 and with the election of a Board Member at Large. When the General Meeting was held, John Costa, today's host, was railroaded---I mean elected to that position. It was a close vote but John won out (mainly due to his culinary talents)

And as the Board met, members began to gather and look over each other's work and catch up with friends. I know many of you know Bubba Glover. Scott told me Mr. Bubba had heart surgery last week. He is doing well and we do pray for him a continued and speedy recovery

Today's meeting was loaded up with 6 visitors. Two of the 6 visitors came prepared to join and went thru the jury process to be voting members. We are blessed with remarkable talent in the GCKG and the addition of these 2 guys cranks us up another notch. Welcome to Travis Daniel from Thomaston GA / Chocowinity NC and Robert Dark from Oxford Alabama. John and I have known Travis for many years. We appreciate Leroy Mathews spurring him on to become "one of us". Travis said he was very impressed with the talent in the Guild and the organization of the meeting. He also enjoyed meeting and getting to know our very own Sandy Morrissey.

And there is nothing like putting one of your newest members right to work. Robert Dark gave us great information on digital photography. I have come away from this with many of my questions answered. Thank you Mr. Robert!! And I am sure Coop, Terrill, and Buddy Thomason thank you for helping me finally getting a grasp of the technical side of digital photography (like color and flash) if not the more creative side.

Gerald White shared his knowledge with the group on fitting guards and bolsters to your knife. Gerald's craftmanship is impeccable.

His demo brought back many good memories of my John and his love of knifemaking. It is so funny how the simpliest of things--like the smell of metal being ground---can bring back a flood of memories and emotions. I had almost forgotten that smell--till today. Mr. Gerald I know your demo was very helpful to others but it was a real special treat for me. Thank you!!

Our next meeting will be August 18 at Scott Davidson's shop in North Georgia. I missed the last meeting at his place and am looking forward to being there for that one.

Last edited by mrsjoan; 04-28-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Skilled

Joan , What a wonderful post. It was mine and Sandy's honor to host the Ga. Guild yesterday. We had a great time and hope everyone else did too. We could not have asked for a better day. Your always welcome at our home.
Warmest Blessings to all.

John and Sandy Costa

GEORGIA CUSTOM KNIFEMAKERS GUILD / CHARTER MEMBER
Old 04-29-2007, 09:51 AM

I also thank John and Sandy for hosting the meeting and their hospitality.

I was a great day to meet folks and to learn more about this craft called knifemaking.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Skilled

John and Sandy, thanks so much for making me , and everyone else, feel right at home. glad to be a part of the group. Carl surely knows how to run a meeting. i was very much impressed with the experience as i know what it takes to have a great meeting. see you all soon. Travis Daniel
Old 04-29-2007, 11:56 AM

When I reached my "photo limit" on my post I forgot about 2 other pictures that are well worth posting. John loved the Georgia Guild and all of you are family to us. When he died, the Guild set up the John Poythress Scholarship Fund to further knifemaking among the membership. For the last several meetings knives have been donated to raffle to fund the scholarship. Scott Davidson generously donated this piece to be raffled at this meeting.

The photograph was taken by Robert Dark in his efforts to show me I was working way to hard to get a good shot. He got this one in 2.

The winner of the knife was Tyler Booth from Covington Georgia. Tyler, his dad Martin, and another friend, John, were visitors at the meeting. Tyler, I hope you kept it close because not only I, but all the guys had their eye on this little beauty.

This is Tyler with the maker, Scott.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Skilled

This was a great meeting. The hospitality and delicious food provided by John and Sandy is second to none. John and Sandy, thanks for allowing the Guild to invade your home and shop this weekend and for making us feel so welcome. I was glad to meet Abby and Harry. I still have a sore neck from turning my head every time Abby called Harry. I don't run into many people that share the name Harry with me, and I am glad to include him in that select group.

It was a good day filled with friends talking about knives and knife making, the setting was perfect and the food delicious. It just doesn't get much better. Thanks again John and Sandy for making it happen.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Steel Addict

Those of you that missed this meeting missed a great one. Plenty of knife talk with good friends, great food and that great hospitality of the Costa family. Thanks John and Sandy.

www.twinxblades.com
Director Knifemakers Guild

Old 04-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Skilled

John Costa and the Mrs. went way beyond what most folks would do. They are really beautiful people with hearts of gold.

I want to express my appreciation to both John and Sandy and to the Georgia Guild members for such a wonderful experience. I feel very honored that I was asked to share a little of my limited knowledge with fellow members.

I hope to see you all again very soon.

Very Sincerely,

Robert
Old 04-29-2007, 11:23 PM

You done real good Brother John. You know how I feel. Sure hated leaving yesterday evening, but I was afraid Sandy was going to make me sit down and eat again.

Just a little side note - John chopped up all that meat with a cleaver he forged, heatreated, and fit with handle/guard - Friday afternoon.
We had us a little fun Friday while the pig was cooking. Master Harry forged a nice little three-finger caper. John's good friend Alan forged his very first knife that evening, also. It's always nice to be able to forge with friends especially in such fine surroundings.

Want to thank all of you that came and especially the ones that are always there to help (you know who you are). Welcome Travis and Robert I hope both of you get as much out of the Guild as I and others have.
Congratulations Tyler, that's one fine knife you have there! As mentioned, lot of us were hoping to take it home. Thank you Scott for donating such a prize.
You folks that didn't make it can see by the above posts what you missed. Plan on making the next one.

ps - Bro....your sheath is ready.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-30-2007, 03:56 AM
Enthusiast

John and Sandy it was wonderful.I had a great time with Harry showing me all the back roads.I hope you could get a little rest after all the work you put into the weekend.thank you for everything. george.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Skilled

YOU FOLKS ARE THE GREATEST. WE LOVE YOU ALL. I'LL MAKE SURE SANDY, HARRY AND ABIGAIL READ THIS, IT WILL MEAN THE WORLD TO THEM .

Carl, that sure was quick. Looks like BPS this week ?...
jc

Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Skilled

I'd like to chime in with a "Yeah Buddy". I don't think I have had the pleasure of more a gracious host and hostess. Thank you John and Sandy for a very pleasurable weekend. As always, it was great being around the Guild members. I feel honored to be counted among such wonderful, sharing people.

John, you've got a great bladesmith's shop and I really appreciate your sharing it with all of us. I look forward to being able to come back in the future.

Thanks for a great time and we'll see you in August.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 PM

We'll have to see how the week progresses John. It's packing up pretty tight right now.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-01-2007, 05:38 AM
Skilled

mail will be ok if you like. I know what you mean...
jc

Old 05-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Steel Addict

Boy it hurt to miss that. Now the pics hurt too. Looks like a good time. Sorry I wasn't there.

Next time. If having a salary doesn't get in the way, I mean.

Tags
forge, knife, knife making, knives