MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Steel Addict

standoff

I've never made a folder but am considering giving it a try. I've been going thru the supply catalogues - what is a "standoff"?
Also - I have the parts of a folder kit I bought several years ago. I've lost the pins. The holes in the blade and springs are 5/64ths. No one offers pins this size. I gave it a try using 1/16 inch pins and peining them. That held everything together, but the spring slipped and lost all it's "starch". I think this happened because the holes were too big for the pins. So I'm thinking of trying the project again, but using 1-72 Torx socket head cap screws instead of pins. Would this work? This is a lockback kit, by the way.
Thanks.
Rebecca
Old 10-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Steel Addict

Go Somewhere And Get The Holes Reamed Out To 3/32. You Will
Probably Have To Go To A Machine Shop That Has Carbide Reamers.
Then Everything Will Fit Right Because You Can Find 3/32 Pins.

Lynn Drury
Old 10-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

A 'standoff' is a round spacer, usually metal, that can be used to hold the two sides of a liner lock folder apart (as opposed to using a solid back spacer). It creates an open back on the knife.

If you have never made a folder, my suggestion would be to buy the best kit you can find for the kind of knife you want to build and try that first. Folders aren't easy so make it simpler for yourself by not trying to replace pins with screws, etc until you have some familiarity with what you are doing.

There is a tutorial on liner locks in the next thread below this one, if you want to see what is involved in starting from scratch....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to philip bradford Send a message via Yahoo to philip bradford
A standoff is a small spacer used on some tactical knives, normally at the opossite end of the pivot. Speaking of which, it needs to be very close to thickness of the pivot and washers used on a knife. Most tradition knives, and many tactical knives have a spacer that is the same width running most the distance of the knife. A standoff is very small and thus eliminates some weight and gives the knife minimumalistic look. Not normally used on lockbacks though. Speaking of lockbacks, I've never made one, but believe some makers use some type of weilding rod for their pins. Hope that helps.

PB

Old 10-10-2004, 10:34 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

stand offs

I get my stand offs from Unicorp in New Jersey,1 800 526 1389 phone #.
They can be used in lockbacks.
Kits are available from TKS or any other knife supply house.
We even have a video on folder kits(CCIVideos), shows you srep by step, how to do it.
Hope it helps.
Be blessed.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Master

If you have a belt sander or a hand drill, you can get pins that are too big and sand them until they fit perfectly in your holes. Just spin it against the belt, or put it into your drill and spin it against paper on a flat backing or your running belt sander. It should come out nice and even.

Tags
blade, knife, knives