MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Steel Addict

Two WIP Knives

After completing my first knives....a set of five skinners for my crew....sorry, no pics of those...and two other knives for friends, I am working on some more...posted are pics of two in progress. They are both pre-heat treat and are waiting on the third to be mocked up. I will shoot some pics once they are complete.....ifnthey come along nicely..

Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Looking good so far. I guess you'll be grinding higher up those blades after HT? Do you plan to cap the butt end of that antler handle on the fixed blade?

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Steel Addict

I will most likely raise the bevels before HT. I was going to polish the butt.....unless that is historically a bad idea.....thoughts?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I don't know about historically but that pith in the center of a piece of antler doesn't really polish all that well and it doesn't look too good either. If that tang is long enough you can put some threads on it, run it all the way through the antler, and screw a metal end piece on there. Or, you could take a piece of wood, buffalo horn, or even metal and stick it on the end with pins or screws. Historically all kinds of things have been done to cover those ends, whatever you can dream up, but leaving it bare isn't too hot unless you're using a crown ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Steel Addict

I gotcha....when i said historically, i meant more proper practice not so much as in like history channel.....i will polish up.a bronze butt plate.

Tags
antler, fixed blade, grinding, handle, heat treat, horn, hunting knife, knives, pins, polish, tang