View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 AM
Guru

I have the KMG GET THAT FIRST! As ray said a lot of the other stuff can be made or scavenged...

Forge and burner is a VERY easy and cheap build, I bet you can find a vise real cheap on craigs list just search blacksmith tools.

A anvil can be made from many things. Mine is a large piece of "tall" rail road track (they make 3 different hieghts of track get the biggest you can) There are many other things you can use and modify to make a anvil. I welded a piece of square steel tubing on the side of my rail track and use it as a hardy hole... with rail track it comes slightly curved I ground half of it flat with a angle grinder (and a ton of disks for the angle grinder that steel track is hard and tough especially if its a used piece that a train has gone over a million times) I kept the other half slightly curved as it was....If you want to take the time I have seen guys grind and cut one side into a horn...that will take a lot of work. But my point is being creative you can use a ton of things for a anvll.

As far as the etcher you can make that to if you find the right power source. I made a crude but workable one from a charger that had the right amps and volts (similar to a phone charger I forget what this charger was for) Now I use a old adjustable power supply my father had made from his days building fixing and selling cb radios. It works great. I have seen videos of guys using car batteries car chargers all sorts of stuff....again the point is be creative....

I would spend the cash on a KMG for sure I got one and never looked back its still one of my best working and favorite pieces of equipment. I would say (as we talked about on another thread recently) IF you buy the grinder get the actuall KMG and don't waste time with the "knock off's" that have hit the market recently...they are cheaper for a reason and they are deffinitly not as solid as the kmg....