View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Steel Addict

dirtydancer: you might consider a differentially hardened carbon steel forged blade. You can easily develop a stout tip that can get you into your work and do all a skull crusher can do without the inconvenience of a sharp point on the handle of your knife.

You can make them as stout as they need to be and with a little practice develop a blade that can easily withstand 70 foot pounds of lateral torque. They take longer to make, but I feel it is worth it. Some folks want stainless, but I believe you can so so much more with a carbon steel knife and it does not take a lot of maintenance to keep them rust free. When I look at my old military knives, some of them over 100 years old, and rust is rarely a problem - unless they have been left laying around for years in the dirt of a battle field or stored forgotten in a basement with grand fathers other stuff without someone to care for them.

If a non reflective blade is wanted you can etch them, and in the field after use, any fruit can be used to reduce reflection.

Last edited by Ed Fowler; 10-12-2011 at 12:22 PM.