View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to PrattBard Send a message via AIM to PrattBard Send a message via Yahoo to PrattBard
They aren't kidding about sharpening

Currently I'm using a heavy duty utility knife. I recently bought a "Superknife.com" blade. basicially a utility knife that folds like a pocket knife. Well the blades in this thing are thicker than the utilitiy blades I have seen around. Heavy Duty thickness. Which seems to work for me. The knife has a flaw that you have to take the blade out with a hex nut. So I have the blade in a standard utility knife. I'm sure you can find heavy duty blades. I forget who makes the pack I got. if you interested I'll get the name off the box of blades.
I think the thicker blade just seems sturdier to me, and seems to really sharpen easier, more like sharping a knife than a razor. I seem to get a better edge. anyway that works for me

As a rule I don't really notice the blade is getting dull, since I GRADUALLY have to put more weight behind it. Eventually I feel like I benched pressed a volkwagon after cutting a foot or so. and my edges start to look ratty, and frayed. Then I realize it's time to sharpen. Then I slice though with ease and cuss myself out for not thinking to sharpen sooner!

Another thing I do it make a slice down my mark with a stencil or smaller blade and bend the leather open. Just to set the groove, for the blade to follow. Seems to HELP (not a complete fix) to keep my cutting on the straight and narrow.
I'm liking this band saw idea alot!

Now anyone have some tips on cutting circles, or unstraightlines? my circles always look.....bumpy.

Lara