Thread: anodizing..
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Skilled

I know mixing different types of metals 'can' produce, or rather change, normal properties of the original metals.
Platinum is NOT springy. It is actually very soft but very dense. It is denser than lead, and very easily bent. But "springy" isn't something platinum would be known as. Paladium, ruthenium or some other metal in the platinum family? Don't know.
Silver also is a soft metal and is very difficult to harden. Even work-hardening is difficult. Both are known as a pure white, though silver will oxidize, whereas platinum does not normally. Nickel (sometimes referred to as "nickel silver" is a very hard and brittle metal.) It also is pure white and has traditionally been the alloy used to make "white gold", even though on a molecular level, nickel really doesn't amalgamate with the gold.

None of these metals in and of themselves would be useful for anything requiring a "spring". Alloyed together in some secret .gov "recipe"? Dunno....

But I suspect there was more to this than those three metals if they were involved.

Anyway, I digress. My only point was to clarify the term "nickle platinum". As there is no such animal that I'm aware of. :-)

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!