View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 11:59 PM

Ray,

I disagree with your definition of 'custom', and here's why.

The root word of 'customer' is 'custom', so I see your point. However, if I make a knife just to make it..., for myself..., then I argue that I am the customer. The specifics are defined by me..., unique to my desires. Can't a knifemaker be his own customer?

What if the knife is a gift? There is no 'customer'. It is a one-of-kind, totally unique knife. Is it not custom?

What about all those knives on tables at shows? Are they not customs?

What if I commissioned a custom knife from you and sold or traded it years later? Is it no longer a custom knife when it becomes the property of the new owner?

What if I have a knife in my inventory of work which meets a customer's desires to the last detail. Does that existing knife become custom if I sell it to the customer or do I have to make one exactly like it in order to truly sell them a custom knife?

What about the word customer? (I know you're pulling your hair out right now Ray. ) To be a customer, do you have to pay for the item? If so, then no knife given, raffled, traded, or otherwise aquired could ever be a custom. Correct?

Again..., I'm not sure this effort will yield the desired results, but I commend you for taking it on.

In my mind, there are three reasons people by knives. Performance, Asthetics, and Exclusivity. These can be achieved a number of ways and it is in the discussing of these methods where a true community is forged among those who love knives.
God forbid the day when a knife from one of our shops, with hours of love and creativity poured into it, can be cubby holed with a single phrase.
To me, a hand made knife has character. It has something of the maker within it. While it may be a simple tool, it's a complex process which gives it life. Let that process demand the lengthy discussions and explainations it deserves.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."