Thread: Hello All!
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 05:32 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Hope this is the right place for introductions, otherwise im really starting off on the wrong foot!

EpicFail48 here, im a somewhat amateur bladesmith based out of Springfield Missouri. Ive been messing around making blades for a few years now. I primarily make smaller fixed blades, 4 inches or less blade length, although i do also make the occasional chefs knife or larger hunting knife depending on the mood. I focus on stock removal blades in high carbon steels, i dont have a forge set up at the moment. I am starting to branch out into stainless steel blades though.

In addition to fixed blades, ive recently started moving more into the machining realm and making butterfly knives. Funnily enough, wanting a good butterfly knife for less than the exorbitant prices charged by the few companies who make them is what got me into knifemaking in the first place, and everything ive done has been working to that one goal. Ironically, ive probably spent the cost of a top of the line knife a few times over just on equipment...

Speaking of equipment, ive managed to outfit myself with a decent complement of tools of the trade. Ive got the fairly standard tools of the trade, bandsaw and a shop-made 2x72 grinder, files and the like. Ive also got some of the more niche stuff, like an electric heat treatment kiln, as well as a small lathe and milling machine. Nothing fancy, but enough for me to do what needs doing.

Thats all ive got for now. I look forward to sponging up as much information as i can, as well as chiming in when ive got something to say!
welcome. nice to meet you