View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Thank you for the feedback, Ed. This is exactly the info I've been looking for! The Taig Mini-Mill appealed to me because of its size and also because I'd heard good things from a few folks regarding its milling abilities (although not on tough materials such as Ti). As you mentioned, my fear is that it wouldn't be strong enough. In other words, I really don't want to end up purchasing the Mini-Mill (Taig) only to find out that it is insufficient for what I want it to do. That would be bad. The thickest Ti I've worked with so far was 0.138" on a frame-lock. It was not fun to cut using my Dremel.

I am fairly new to making folders (especially frame-locks). I've successfully made a handful of Liner Locks and frame-locks using my variable speed Dremel and with using various attachments, but I'd like to be able to tighten up the tolerances on my folders. I assume that I can do this with a mill. (I.e. I can hopefully achieve higher tolerances by milling out pieces for my folders vs. trying to use my drill press and belt grinders to make my pieces). Does this make sense? It is tough for me to describe what I intend to use a mill for because I have zero knowledge or experience using a mill (of any kind).

I will certainly take a look at the Grizzly mill. Please let me know your thoughts once you get yours up and running, if you would. I am in no rush; I'll probably wait until this fall to purchase a mill.

Thanks again, Ed. I appreciate your help and insight on this.

All the best,

Michael