View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Skilled

Looks good to me! Nearly everyone has their own way of making sheaths. It doesn't make one way right and the other wrong. I am still learning and changing my designs as I see features I like being used by others. I spent a few hours with Sandy a while back, learned ALOT, and am trying some of his techniques, but still make my own sheath, as every one does. I too kind of like a sheath with a little more depth and the knife handle more enclosed. I have only seen a few knives with a square bottom sheath (Puma being one), and I did not like them at all. The skiving of the loop will definitely improve the looks and make it easier to insert the belt, as others have said. In my sheaths I like the loop to be a little higher so the handle doesn't ride so high on the user?s side. But that is personal preference and the customer will many times direct that. In the picture it looks like the loop might have cracked at the top. If it did, that can be caused by bending at too sharp a radius with leather that is not soft. Dye tends to harden leather and can cause this problem, which to me is reason enough to redo the loop. If the leather isn't cracked please pretend I didn't type the above sentences, and chalk it up to eyes getting older.

This is a great thread to me because is shows how easy it is to get advice from others with the same interest and many years of experience. Sometimes the hard part, as you have recognized, is deciding whether the comments you receive concerns a question of style or practical design. You have received both here in this post and in others. So you sort through it all and in the end you have to make what works for you and the customer. That equals your style.