View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 12:11 AM
Skilled

I received a truly hi-res picture from the family and I think I can now agree this is probably a seven-spacer model 2. The sheath is unusual... horizontal keeper brown button "A" probably made by Johnson. He did make "B" sheaths with horizontal keepers and made quite a few "A" sheaths for small knives using that retaining method.. While Heiser made a lot of these combat "A" type sheaths with horizontal keeper, this is the only possibly Johnson-made large combat-knife sheath I've seen that used the horizontal keeper, especially with brown buttons.

BUT... I notice the stone pocket seems to be a lot higher than normal- it would have been very hard to set the male button end to secure a diagonal keeper on this sheath. As a matter of fact, I suspect the stone pocket position is why they opted for a horizontal keeper or perhaps Johnson installed the pocket higher when using that retaining method. Heiser seems to have done that occasionally when using the horizontal keeper, but I just haven't seen any Johnson examples to compare. It makes me wonder just a little if this was made by Stockman or "other?"

The article about Gen. Moore's Randall for publication as been written and approved. When it is published, I'll link it and post it here.

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-13-2017 at 02:04 PM.