View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Guru

yeh i thought about how dirty that thing could get i talked to 2 other makers one uses caged bearings always has and has told me they hold up better than what he thought they would the other maker is actually in a video i got of how to do it with the loose bearings i talked to him on the phone and he told me that yeh if you really treat them bad they will need to be cleaned but if you don't put them in the dirt to much they should be ok he also told me to use wheel bearing grease to lube them he has found that works better and he hasn't had to clean them as much as a thinner lubrication. however i thought about this and unless youre selling them who is good with there hands and doesn't mind a bit of work cleaning i think caged bearings are the way to go with the loose bearings you have about 15-20 lil tiny balls loose on either side of the blade putting them in is a pain where as the caged bearings all the bearings are put togather into one piece MUCH easier to handle!

WNC GOATER....this was all a mystery to me about a month ago maybe a lil less, ray has a tutorial that really makes it black and white very easy explanation. going from there to doing a flipper to a lil adapting of things stop pin in front not back but same basic steps.....i thought this was all out of reach not having a mill i don't remember who but someone told me you need a mill to do folders when i first started making knives....deffinitly not true. after the one i am working on now i think i am going to try a spring assisted one, just to try...but these flippers aren't all that hard i had a couple of problems getting it to open easily but re checked everything and worked it out