View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Hall of Famer

I tend to agree with you, Andy, on the use of the word "custom."

Merriam-Webster dictionary defines custom as "made or performed according to personal order." It also defines "custom-made" as an adjective desribing an object "made to individual specifications."

While there is a relationship with "customer" the above definitions do not restrict the making of an object to a customer. I feel that a knife made to the "personal order" and "individual specifications" of the maker should also proudly bear the title of "custom."

In providing the etymology of the word, M-W dictionary notes that it's roots are similar to the Latin root "suus" meaning "one's own." A maker who puts his own talents and creative style into a knife truly makes it their own.

I agree with you, Ray, that the word "custom" has been abused, particularly by those wishing to add to their profit margin. I would argue, though, that the knife community connotates a "custom" knife to be one that is made individually and with a level of craftsmanship not attainable with economic feasability by factory production.

I would therefore define the term "custom" as it applies to knives:

CUSTOM KNIFE: A knife produced to the specifications of an individual or to personal order.

Note, that this definition does not specify who--the maker or the recipient--makes the specifications. I think who ultimately posesses the knife is irrelevant, provided it is made to someone's individual specifications. If the specifications of a customer happen to coincide with those of a knife already made, great, he or she can purcase a custom knife that is finished. If not, they can either a) place an order with a particular maker or b) seek a maker that already has constructed a knife meeting those specifications. Considered this way, the knives by the great makers such as William Scagel, Bill Moran, and George Herron are legitimately "custom." Under the more restrictive definition, they may not be. Something that I see mentioned occasionally--and I would consider this a compliment to a knife maker--is when a customer orders a knife, but does not specify how it is to be made. The customer allows the maker full reign to design and complete the knife, knowing that the knife they acquire will be a great representation of that maker's craftsmanship. Under your definition, Ray, I do not think a knife could be called custom.

Note also that this definition does not clarify how the knife is to be made. Thus, a mass-produced knife, if having qualities specified by an individual, can legitimately be called "custom." See the reference to Buck's custom shoppe in my previous post in this thread. This may make some of us uncomfortable, but that is a discussion for another time.