Thread: harbor 1?30!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Skilled

^^These guys know what they're talking about. There is a reason the 2 x 72 is the "standard". Listen to them. However, you have a 1 x 30 and want to make some knives.

You can make knives with the 1 x 30. That is a tentative "can". I made probably a dozen or so with one before buying the 2 x 72. Just understand you are handicapped right out of the gate and will never reach a level of efficiency that you can on a "real" grinder. Thus you will struggle with multiple issues and also never acheive quite the level of enjoyment that knifemaking can bring.

Yet you can do it, I did.

I do not believe you will have any success in trying to freehand grind with a 1 x 30 for a number of reasons which includes every reason laid out in previous replies as to why a 1 x 30 just won't do.
I had to use a jig. So make yourself a simple homemade jig (YouTube) and clamp some mild steel to it to practice. Get some mild steel from Lowes or Home Depot and grind a few. Transfer what you learn to some relatively inexpensive and easy to heat treat steel, like 1084 and make some blades.
If you find you like it, then save your pesos for a 2 x 72 like the Grizzly Ray mentions above, or even better, take the advice Ray gave me and save a few more pesos, jump over the Grizzly and get something better like a KMG, because you're going to end up doing that eventually anyway.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 12-24-2016 at 11:51 AM.