View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 12:55 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This past while, as I fought to get just the right amt. of handle material off, while fitting the "spacer" piece, ahead of the sub-hilt, it dawned on me that the problem was not the spacer, or me, but the worn-out sanding disc that I was using. It got the material hot, it wold not cut straight and true and it was taking forever. I switched it to a sharper disc and my problems were solved. It cut faster (so I did have to take it easy on the pressure against the disc, so that I didn't cut it too short!) but it cut my time in half and the accuracy of the cut was much improved! Of course, this might be obvious to many, but sometimes we just get working along and don't pay attention to the obvious. Though it might not hurt to mention it. Same goes for grinding belts, of course....... ....except for Trizact belts and cork belts, which seem to never wear out, at times!
Steve, You just reminded me of similar frustrations i had recently with my cork belts. no matter what i did or how long i persisted i couldn't get the scratches out of the last few blades, it was driving me nuts and wasting hours until it dawned on me they could be contaminated with wayward grit. So i grabbed an old hardened blade blank and forced it into the belt stripping off all the compound that had built up until i saw fresh cork. It took considerable force to achieve...Problem solved! Polishing blades is a joy once more.
They may last for years but they appear to need some TLC every now and then.

Cheers,
Steve