View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Doug.
If you or anyone else couldn't tell...... All I'm after is a basic proven 1095 "recipe" for HT using the type of equipment I will have. I will be perfecting my techniques as time goes by as everyone does.

One technique I can see I will have to play with is quenching using Canola oil.
Some guys just quench with Canola as normal and leave the blade in quench until completely cool to about 150F or less.
Some guys quench for about 7 seconds with Canola, remove blade (straighten if needed) and then back in quench.
Some guys quench for about 7 seconds with Canola and then remove blade and let air cool until about 150F.

I know, I know......whatever works for me!
As an added comment: I still feel confident that I can achieve success at 1095 HT with my elect. kiln (and anti-scale comp.) and hopefully using Canola oil as a quench medium. I also know practice and practice some more will be needed regarding physically making blades and the HT process.
Usually nothing any good comes easy, especially lately in my life! Unfortunately my patience and energy level is not what it used to be at my age.....but I will manage and stick with it. I had MAJOR heart issues that included open heart surgery and two heart attacks AFTERWORDS about 6 years ago, it was quite an eye opener. If I can get through that, perfecting my 1095 HT will be a piece of cake in comparison!!
DAVID

Last edited by David Eye; 01-26-2016 at 08:07 AM. Reason: small needed comment rather than new post