View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I have a Sherline and use it for slotting guards mostly. It will do the job but just barely.

I also have a 700 pound Grizzly benchtop mill. This one is far more useful as you will quickly find milling jobs to do that simply won't work on the Sherline. Also, as mentioned above, the larger mill has the R8 spindle which means you can use the most popular and most cost effective tooling available.

If you must use a micro then go for it but where mills are concerned bigger is truly better. Check out the mini-mills offered from Grizzly, they are approximately in the Sherline's price range but weigh about 150 pounds (weight means rigidity in a mill and that affects accuracy and cutting speed) and some have the R8 spindle.

Finally, there are several good brands of mini-mills and they may all appear to be the same machine with different paint and name tags but it ain't necessarily so. For the price, Grizzly is probably the safest bet. They stock replacement parts for most everything they sell and their tech support has always been there when I've needed them ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!