Thread: HT of Aldos W2
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Hall of Famer

The course sphodization of carbides is different than course grain, though neither is desirable. The course spheroid carbides come from that way the steel was heat treated at the foundry and is corrected by the method sited above. Grain growth has to do with the basic iron matrix. At high temperature over time, with temperature being the most critical, the small iron crystals can combine into large iron crystals. This allows for a longer interface between the crystals that can shear under stress. The broader crystals also make it difficult to get a fine edge on the blade.

I once experimented with 52100 so I know the attraction of "super steels". I made two test blades, each by a different heat treating method and I think that they came out well. However, I came to the conclusion that I probably wasn't getting the most out of the blades that I could have and that it would be harder to get consistent results from the steel without a regulated high temperature oven or a high temperature salt pot. It just reinforced my belief that you need to stick with an alloy that is compatible with your equipment.

Doug