View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast

Forge weld no go. Forge Newbe

Hello to all

I built a 1 brick forge and have been trying to forge weld just two bars to each other. No luck. I have a nicolson file and a piece of 01. Now I am not even trying to make dimascus yet...just trying to get 1 weld so I can see what it takes. Here is my setup

1 brick forge.
20 mule team borax.
anvil
bailing wire
ball pein hammer.
forging tongs.

I grind the surfaces of each peice of metal. then I wire them together using the bailing wire. then I Put them in the forge and heat up until red..not yellow, Pull them out..wire brush.....put back in quickly......heat up until red again....pull out....flux the crap out of it....put it back in.....leave in unitl I see the 20 mule melt and turn to honey like consistancy....and it starts to bubble on the surface of the metal....which is about a nice red-orange color now. I then pull it out of the forge quickly and smack it with the hammer. Now I have tried pounding the S#$! out of it and all that did was sprey me with hot flux....so I tried a lighter approach and just kinda tapped it lightly. and nothing happeded.

I have tried this manny times now and I just can't seem to get it to do anything. any ideas......is it possible I'm not getting the meteral hot enough in my small 1 brick forge?

Thnaks for any input
Alex

----------------------------------------