View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 PM
Guru

Very brittle steel too JM.

I remember a guy went and didn't tighten both clamps on the cold saw, the side where the part was against the stop, blade broke when that part wedged between the blade and the stop. $400 blade broke because of stupid.

I love cold saws. They cut as close as you can measure and do not throw sparks or hot chips of brass and aluminum like high speed saws. Just nice slow cutting saws with coolant cutting fluid running down the blade. M2 sounds about right for those blades JM.

Mind you I had a circular saw that was 3/8" thick and could cut a 24" I-beam. Had a 2 handed handle you pulled down and a foot rest you stood on to cut. High speed, threw sparks to the 30' roof and scared the heck out of me. Used binding chains to hold the parts. I wonder what that blade was made of. No carbide and 5 feet in diameter or more. Teeth were not small, like 2 tpi if that.

Imagine getting that blade and thinking it was from a sawmill huh? Blade was shiny like regular cold roll except a little brighter in color like some metal cutting bandsaw blades. Was only used on mild steel, they said it cost too much to wear out cutting stainless. In the 70s I can only think of the M series steels, but it didn't look like M2 type steels though, they are darker, not as bright I should say. Wonder if it was a special made alloy like those 1084 2% nickel bandsaw blades.

They still sell blades like that, my brother has one of those high speed steel cutters, he cuts stainless too, puts cutting wax on the sides instead of blowing coolant on it. Would be interested to learn what they were made of. They may have come from Armco in Los Angeles and they definitely did custom alloys back then. (I think it was Armco, had to go there once) I'll call my brother and ask him about it tomorrow.

Pardon my ramblings, had a long day and have to go get checked for a hernia tomorrow. So may not call my brother.