View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworldwide View Post
thanks.

I have used copper from pennies and from other old copper sheet to make shields for penknives and I like the way it looks.

I usually gently heat it, then hammer it out on the anvil to thin it down prior to final shaping on the sander.

I have found that if you hammer it to thin it, it is reasonably scratch resistant in the pocket. But, like any other NS shield, it will dull up with fine scratches over time, and of course, it will darken from the atmosphere. But that's why I like it...
If it's the specific patina that you like from the copper I can help with that in both brass and bronze, just let me know what color you want and I'll tell you how to oxidize it.
If it's the particular dark oily gold color you can replicate that with vegetable oil and a blowtorch, basically it's the same method for seasoning your cast iron frying pans. Heat the metal a bit, brush on oil, apply indirect heat till it smokes. Go slow and wipe off the excess to check your color.

If I don't know there is a hobby forum over on www.finishing.com that will likely have your answer.