View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Guru

Epicfail.....I get what your saying there are 2 makers that are somewhat close to me...one I have gotten very close with the other I have met a couple times. The one that I got close to does a lot of his sharpening on the grinder. He uses carbon steel tho for 90% of his stuff. so now I understand there is a difference however the other guy is like me uses mostly stainless and I get what your saying by not judging my self by what some one else can do but he sharpens a stainless blade to scary sharp very quickly...I wish I could do it that quick and that good.

Naboyle...Yeh I started doing it like the maker that uses carbon steel that I mentioned above. and like I said couldn't get it sharp. That is when I spoke to Ed C as well and he told me the same thing go up in grits I only went to 800 not 1200 so I will try 1200 and see how that works. But I got the closest going up in grits as you and ed had mentioned.....I do have a feeling that like so many other things practice practice practice will make a difference. dealing with stainless it might be harder but I know its possible the other maker I mentioned that uses stainless he didn't go up in grits he started at a slightly worn out 220 and then leather belt with compound. I saw him do it so I know its possible but again practice maybe? I was thinking maybe if just going to 1200 doesn't work first go to 1200 on the grinder then do the last grit slightly higher than 1200 maybe 1500 but do it by hand on a mouse pad maybe the combination will work out. thanks again guys! ill keep you guys posted