View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 06:42 PM
Guru

Tex make your own.

It is cheaper to boot. I have some 1/8 thick sheet for smaller knife guards or for a butt plate versus a pommel. I also bought some 1 inch by 1/4 thick for guards and for pommels I have 3/8 thick by 1 inch wide also some 1 inch round. If you have a wood bandsaw you have a brass bandsaw too, 10 tpi is good, 12 is fine too. I use Tap Magic cutting fluid for cutting, I rub the oil onto both sides of the part I'm cutting. Never use oil poured onto your bandsaw. It makes a mess and will make your blade want to slip off the drive wheel. You can also use cutting wax instead. If you have a bandsaw that cuts steel you should use the wax as I've found in over 30 years in the metal trades it's better for steels and keeping the temperature down. Use a cutting/tapping wax.

I have a precision cross travel X-Y table. DO NOT TRY TO MACHINE WITH A DRILL PRESS! as it will damage your drill press because it isn't designed to take sideways pressure. I use the table to make my drill line holes straight. I use my table for jeweling too using round Cratex. It's also handy for drilling a pin hole for a stub tang and return to the same spot. Also invest in a good needle file set, word is a GOOD set. I have a Nicholson Needle set in a small box from the 70s and have taken very good care of them as they are still working very well. Cutting a brass guard hole isn't hard, but stainless takes more elbow grease which is why I seldom do a stainless guard. LOL