View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Skilled

Steve Moore has sent a message opining that the knife was given to Hal Moore by Westmoreland in Vietnam, immediately after the battle at LZ X-ray. This could be? but I think if that is the case, given that 10-15 year age of the blade, it would have to have been an unusual presentation knife, perhaps special to Gen Westmoreland. Those old Randall blades were not just floating around in Vietnam in 1965.

Here is what Steve wrote and also two pictures he sent., one right after x-ray in 1965...no Randall... and one a few months later in 1966 with Randall. Too bad we cannot see details of the Randall on the April-1966 picture.

"Jack - we are pretty sure GEN Westmoreland gave Dad the knife after the big fight at Lz Xray, but cannot confirm that. Westmoreland visited the units right after that battle and that would have been an opportune time. I was 13 when Dad went to VN and do not remember the knife from any of the outdoor activities we did.

"I looked at the thread and do not think Dad and Westmoreland crossed paths in Korea. I have read all of Dad's letters home from Korea and Vietnam and he does not mention the gift in either. With so much going on in VN, I can understand why he would not mention this to Mom at that point.

"When at Fort Bragg, Dad was transferred from the 82nd to the Field Forces Board Airborne Test Section to do the parachute testing. The section was commanded by then LTC Kinnard. I do not think Westmoreland would have had much visibility into the activities since he was in the 82nd."

April 1966

Nov 1965

I replied as follows:

I agree the presentation would be unlikely to have occurred during Korean War - both men had a day job separate from each other. And from what you mentioned about the earlier 82nd period, that too seems unlikely. Perhaps Gen Westmoreland did give it to your dad in Vietnam post x-ray. But in that case, I would wonder if the presentation knife was an old Randall Westy had used from the post-WWII era that he thought was too beat-up to wear ceremonially Vietnam. Therefore he had acquired the ivory model. Or perhaps someone on staff had rotated home and gave his old combat Randall to Westmoreland who passed it on to your father...though that seems a little far fetched.

Perhaps the answer will never be found. ... In any case, it is a beautiful story and wonderful to reflect upon because is such a human story...not command, not war, not mission.

Thinking back to that era and the men I served with and under almost brings tears to my eyes. ... In any case I like to think the knife had special meaning for Westmoreland given its age. It makes that photo more special than it already is. It is but a footnote in history, but footnotes make history.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-20-2017 at 01:17 PM.