View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 09:17 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade View Post
Joe,

You and I disagree on this one:

I don't know how you can apply the description "Commando" to this knife. I don't think it looks like any other Commando I've seen (or any other fighter for that matter). Reference the one in Pete's book on page 88: This knife has no hump in the middle of the spine nor does it have the upswept blade. It does, however have all the earmarks of a pre-WWII war knife to include the spacer set and the sheath. It precedes the Zacharias in my opinion.

We've disagreed on this knife before. Joe. You have your opinion and I have mine. We will leave it at that. I'm not going to bandy this back and forth as I know it will deteriorate to the point that it takes away from the thread.

Thanks for understanding.

Ron
No problem Ron. Just stating what is recorded history, not what I wrote, what Gaddis wrote about 25+ years ago. If you disagree with what he wrote, take it up with him.

I am going with what Gaddis states in the chapter beginning on page 65 and also from memory about conversations with Bob. According to him, there is not a journal entry describing a double hilt fighting knife prior to the the Zacharias fighter, the very first fighter Bo ever made. He even alludes the that during the entry to the chapter.

Apparently you didn't bother to knock the dust off your copy and read it , so I will put it here:

"During the last half of 1942 and into the first couple of months of 1943, Bo experimented with a few combat knife designs besides the Zacharias-Randall style. At first some men had him modify his catalog Models 6 and 7 hunters for combat duty. This consisted of sharpening the blade on the top edge and using a double hilt. The handles were of stag but usually not crown. He adopted the term "Commando" to denote these earliest of his double-hilted combat knives".

All there in print, so I am not sure where the debate is.

There are 28 entries in Bo's journal dating from Zach's knife until 7 January 1943. That is a fact. Six months. Not many knives, about one knife per week.

Last edited by crutchtip; 07-14-2017 at 09:30 PM.