View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grieb View Post
😂. No. Thanks for that! Can never have too much info on files. So realistically speaking, if I got 51200 austenitized and quenched correctly, I could get a kitchen knife that would have a file skate after tempering?
Michael the file test is for checking how hard the steel is right after quench, but usually not after temper. A file as made, has a specific temper cycle and good files like the Grobet are very high carbon like 1.7 and higher and are like RC 68+ as quenched and are tempered back to 65 or so. 52100 only has 1.0 or 1.05 and a file skates over or tends too at RC 62, but if its a good file some pressure should dig into the edge some. I presume after tempering 60-62 is the hardness you're shooting for? So keep that in mind, if it digs in easy it probably isn't above 60. Using files of unknown hardness isn't the best way to determine hardness.

52100 is used a lot by makers because it forges well and holds an edge well thanks to the chromium carbides that it forms. If edge holding or abrasion/wear resistance is your target, 52100 is a good forging steel. I tend to make my carbon steel knives right at 60 hardness, but I've reached the point where I only use O1 unless I'm making Damascus, in which case I use 1084 and 15N20. After reading Mr Cashen's answer if I can get access to a forge I may try the O1/L6 combo.

There is also a steel made for forging called CruForgeV and it has 0.75 vanadium in it which will form vanadium carbides (harder than chrome carbide) and it will hold an edge even if it is tempered back a little too much. Only place I know who still sells it is Alpha Knife Supply, it's inexpensive and only comes in .250" thickness. It is very similar to 52100 except a little less chrome and of course the vanadium. It is also easy to forge as that is specifically what it was developed for. For instance my S30V knives are high Vanadium (4%) and a file tends to skate over them even though they are RC 60 hard. Vanadium adds a lot of wear resistance. Needs a diamond hone to sharpen it in a timely manner though.

By the way Ed Caffrey told me that some files are only case hardened and would be useless if made into a knife. Said even some Nicholson rasps were made like that.

Please pardon my long answers, I'm in the hospital and have time on my hands.