View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
This is the first time I have heard about the glue coming apart in 5 years.
I'd never heard of it either..... until it happened to me. I've had a lot of folks chide me over saying what I do about epoxy chemically breaking down, and my response is to believe whatever they want..... I spent a lot of time and effort to discover the information, and since it came from a chemist who designed epoxy for a living, and based on my experiences, I believe it.

Concerning the particular epoxies it applies to.... I can only tell you that the individual I spoke with told me "All commonly available commercial epoxy is designed this way." He also told me to pay particular attention to an adhesive's "hold life" as indicated on the label. You can expect it to last at least that length of time. If a label does not list "hold life", then 5-7 years is the norm. Keep in mind that I never said things would fall apart in 5-7 years..... only that the epoxy is engineered to START chemically breaking down in that time frame. It could maintain it's bond well beyond that.
This is my full time, long term business, so I might have a different view than others....but once I send a knife out the door, the idea is to never see it again..... only because if I do, it means there's likely a problem/issue that requires my attention, and I obviously didn't do something the way it should have been done. Most never give any consideration to "epoxy", and just assume that it's "forever".....and so did I, until I had a problem.

I can tell you that when I first learned of this, I was flabbergasted, because in my mind epoxy was "forever"....but if you look at it from the business viewpoint of those who produce it, it's not far fetched at all.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 10-23-2017 at 09:23 AM.