View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 05:33 AM

I agree on the WI. Very few know how to tell from steel and most call anything with black paint on it "WI". I have been very fortunate to be able to find plenty of WI over the years. Just got to be looking and know what you are really looking for. It is one of my most favorite guard and buttcap materials for the style of knives I make. Mostly like it because it etches out very similar to pattern-welded (damascus) steels. Old anchor chain can give some very surprising swirly patterns if used in a cross-cut orientation. Even had a chunk of old wagon wheel rim one time that surprised me. Used it for a large "S" guard for a big bowie, when etched there was a small "cut nail" that had been added to the mix when the rim was forge welded up (or repaired). Showed up right at the top of the upper curve. Have a pic of it, but that was back in the day of the polaroid. It's in a box somewhere.
I usually braze most no ferrous materials when needed, but normally feel a well fitting joint and JB weld does the job just fine.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H