View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 02:54 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with Ron on the dating of the knife on page 81 of Bob's first book. It could be that he took the liberty of using the etched date as something it wasn't, UNLESS, the sheath was a replacement. That would be the only way it saw Korean War period, or maybe Trska was stationed in Korea post war.

It is not unheard of that a carried knife will remain in good serviceable condition, while the sheath takes the beating, particularly in a tough environment like Korea.

I do not recall the back story on this one 100%, but IIRC he acquired the knife from Mr. Traska himself or a family member. So it is possible his claim that it was carried in Korea based on that presumption.

If I was relying on the knife/sheath combo as it is, again, I agree with Ron.

I will also add, that when the book was first published almost 20 years ago, there was still a lot of research and assessment of what was what across the spectrum of Randall knives and the history. So, there are a couple blunders here and there, but know the Hunt actually did research, with hands on examination of what he wrote about. For the most part as time marched on, his subsequent publications were less susceptible to errors.