View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast

Stuart,
Your response is fantastic with tons of info and greatly appreciated.....thanks a ton.
I was beginning to wonder if anyone at all was going to respond to my lengthy thread with a rather long prelude/explanation!

1) If I understand you correctly, after I preheat my kiln to 1475F I then put the blade in. When the kiln rebounds to 1475F I then soak for approx. 10 minutes.....correct? Are you sure the blade will be up to 1475F in the amount of time it will take my kiln to rebound to the 1475F setting?

2) I was planning on using 130F Canola oil as my quench medium.....time will tell! I was planning on quenching for 7 seconds and then take it out to air cool to about 130F.....slight marquenching I guess. You apparently have good success with taking it out of quench after 7 seconds, maybe straighten if need be and then putting it back in quench....which I can certainly try.

3) I will preheat my tempering oven and not worry about "how" I let the blade cool to room temp.
I was going to attempt to achieve a RC of about 58-59 but maybe 60-61 would be OK.....not sure.

4) Do you use or need to use any ATP-641 on your 1095 blades?

Just so you and others are aware, I am going to be making some hunting fixed blade knives of my own design and thought that 58-59 RC might be about right, again time will tell and, of course, other's opinions based on experience with 1095 for this type of knife. I will be using 5/32" 1095 stock and the knives will be 1" and 1.125" wide X 3.750" and 4" long blade minus handle length.

Thanks for the compliment regarding my attitude about knife making and "diving into this head first".
Please keep in mind, I don't dive into anything without first doing my homework and research. I've been around the block a few times as they say....especially at my age! If you really knew me and how I operate and the things I've done and accomplished, you would know I wouldn't ever attempt something I didn't feel very confident about regarding my ability to have success at.

I really shouldn't go into my background too much here, but I will a little.........
Some of my God given talents and skills involve anything mechanical or electro/mechanical. My mediums of choice are steel and wood and anything with an internal combustion motor. I'm also good at gunsmithing and even took a course. I've learned a lot in my years from some schooling, self taught research and much hands on. I realize where my skills and talents lie and where they don't. I love hunting, guns, knives and motors, making or repairing anything myself, etc., etc. I built my entire log house from top to bottom myself including wiring and plumbing and finish work. If I didn't think I could make knives and make them well with practice......I wouldn't be doing this. At my age I already know what I like and what I'm capable of (and not capable of), one of the few advantages of getting old!! As long as my body and mind hold out I will be doing these things I love, including riding my Triumph.
I learn something new everyday and we all have our gifts and talents and our bad points too! Us older guys just already know these things about ourselves and I for one don't have a problem admitting what my bad points are........which I won't go into here!
DAVID