View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of all trade View Post
I would not feel bad, I just assume it is a question that not everyone would know the answer to. I have been listening in and am now wondering if I want to build or buy. Thanks for the thread. Ed
Ed,
Thanks for the comment, I appreciate that. Maybe stating my personal reasons for making my own kiln will help.

Am I capable of building my own kiln?.......YES
Do I REALLY want to build my own kiln?.......NO
Do I really have the time?......NOT TONS, but I'll squeeze it in!

I am building my own kiln for the following various reasons:
1) I'm NOT a rich man and have other hobbies that take money too. Maybe a person that has just one or two hobbies could afford apprx. $1300 on just the kiln.
2) I don't like getting "ripped off". I think the price of new kilns is ridiculous. Maybe a somewhat "rich" person or true business that makes quite a few knives or very expensive knives could warrant spending that kind of money on a tiny kiln, but not me. If I ever decide to sell any of my knives it would take quite some time to pay back the kiln investment. I'm basically making my own knives for enjoyment. I NEED to spend as little money as possible on this knife making...just my personal situation.
3) I will get a certain amount of satisfaction when I build my own kiln. Do I really need that satisfaction at this point in my 60 year life?......NO. I have designed, made and/or modified many, many different things in my life. I would have preferred to purchase a reasonably priced used kiln but I can't find one and I'm getting impatient.....part of aging.
4) I'm looking forward to making some of my own knives that I have already designed. I must admit though, I already have way too many interests and hobbies. Knife making on a very small scale is just something I have always wanted to do, especially before I get too old or sickly and won't be able to.

Other people may have additional or completely different reasons for making their own small kiln. Possible lack of ability, skill or knowledge and experience might stop some people and that's perfectly understandable. I was blessed with talents that allow me to build a kiln and make knives. I recognize where my talents lie and where they don't and use what God given talents I do have. What I don't know I search and learn which can sometimes make me change my mind about something.

In regards to making my own kiln, I just needed some specific info and I thought this forum was a good place for that. Some things I figured out myself, some by searching here and elsewhere, I got great help from Sam (catskinner) with excellent suggestions as to where else to get info along with some of his own. I will also be asking some questions to suppliers of components.
None of this is rocket science but not everyone has the same talents and skills. I would hope and think that anyone attempting to make their own knife blades and complete knives would more than likely be able to make a kiln or at least most of a kiln IMO! (elect. can be tricky)

I still need some suggestions as to a PID controller. I have the element question figured out now.
Thanks for reading this rather long post.....sorry, I do get wordy.
David