View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Hang on now! It isn't quite time to take your ball and go home just yet.
Besides if you do that, isn't that the same as saying 'my way or no way'?
I'm perfectly willing to include a 3rd definition or even more but if an additional definition is included it has to earn it's spot through discussion. I made what I thought were some fairly important points about your third definition but you never ersponded to them. If I missed the response in the avalanche then I appologize and please direct me to them.

Also, the Poll is not started. It says right there in the text that the Poll is there for review, not voting. The thread is locked, you couldn't vote if you wanted to. I figured it would be easier to review if I put it up where it could be easily found instead of buried in this thread. The comments for changes go in this thread and the results will be put in the Poll before any voting. It's my attepmt at organizing a very complicated process. It's a start, not an end, unless you choose to make it an end.

As for Joe and his dad, you're right, by definition #2 it wouldn't be custom but by #1 it would be. Vote for #1 when the time comes. Or, recognize that Joe's knife could be Custom Made, a term we haven't discussed much yet. Perhaps we should change the Poll to include all the 'custom' terms we can identify? That way, it might be clearer that there is a difference between them and those differences cover all the options pretty well.

Would you want to consider Sam's knife custom? I guess if he actually made all 1000 of them himself it could be. But usually, under those circumstances, the bulk of those knives would be manufactured and, so far, I think we have all felt that to be 'custom' by most any knife related definition a knife has to be made by a knife maker. Again though, it seems to me that definition #1 would allow that to be called custom if that's what you want.

Finally, if you don't like the way the Poll is stated then suggest some changes. I was aware of the need to avoid bias when I wrote it and tried to be as even handed as I could but it's still a starting place. Just making a suggestion though is not enough of a reason for the definition to be changed or a new one added - the point has to be proven through discussion. I offered a staring definition and that definition, after discussion, has been changed somewhat to be #2 and an entirely new second definition that I didn't create has been added. How can I be more fair?

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!