View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 AM

No time to elaborate right now, but it was a great place, great people, close to the desert and mtns. and much less traffic, though the smog was, as advertised!" But........ did I mention what a rush it was to get on those Honda 350/Fours and tool around town and down the Magnolia Avenue and out amongst the groves when the orange blossoms were blooming? I could stand living in Riverside for that alone, if it's still possible to do that. Probably not many orange groves left, I'd guess!

FOLLOW-UP:
When we moved to Riverside, a local Dr. who developed an interest in knives and for whom the "Dixon Fighter" was named, owned a small bungalow not far off of the 91, or Riverside Freeway on Tyler St. that Bob thought would have great possibilities as there were outbuildings in the back and parking space and room for both of us in the house. It still looks pretty much the same, I believe, at least it did the last time I was there.

There was the house, with two bedrooms, a bath,kitchen and living room, surrounded by chain-link fence, continuing around the back yard, and then a long shop in back that we were able to modify to fit just the way we wanted ("we," being Bob, as you can probably guess, since he had some definite ideas of what a shop had to be like, I wasn't much into shop layout at the time....) and it turned out very well.

There was room for the office, room to make a dark room for etching and Bob's photography work, (I think we ended up just continuing to do the logo etching out in the work room where the sheaths were made after dark, like we did in Lawndale). In between was the work room where the tooling-type machines were located, mill, lathe, drill presses, along with benches and vises, a table for the sharpening stone, acetylene tanks, etc.

The grinders and band saw were in he grinding room, which was further toward the back, adjacent to the small last room which was for storage.

I lived there with Bob for a while, but eventually moved back toward the fwy., into a mobile home, owned by a wonderful older lady by the name of Anna DeBilt, who was leaving for Bend, Oregon to live with her children and wanting to rent out the trailer. I convinced her, somehow, (Bob vouched for me, I believe) that I wasn't a risk and moved in. I lived there until October 1974. It was great. She had a strawberry patch out back that yielded a cup or two of strawberries every day. HEAVEN! Interestingly, when I left for Utah that October for the deer hunt, I turned up the heat for some reason, just before departing in the hustle and bustle of getting ready to go, walked out and left it on high! A few week's later, while still in Utah, I got a call from the mobile home park manager telling me that I had a very high gas bill (He had used his pass key to go in and adjust the thermostat) and wondering if I knew what was going on and, of course, if I planned to pay the extra amount, which I did.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 11-10-2010 at 10:29 PM.