View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 07:19 AM

You can use the stand mounted portaband (like Troy's) to do most of your wood cutting on the small scale. Not for splitting lumber and cutting up stumpage of course. But to square or split a blank for scales/handles and such it will work quite well. Just keep a dedicated 14 pt blade for wood only. Because the blade moves so much slower than the average wood band saw, you can really control the "split' very well, just make sure your blank is squared properly and then follow your mark. My big wood bandsaw rarely gets used anymore since I started using the portaband. I did make mine so that it clamps in a big vise which makes it very portable and stowable. Great when you have limited space work areas. Just make sure you fabricate your mount so that you can easily change out your blades.

Note: Bite the bullet and get a "deep cut" model. Extra width comes in handy on a lot of cuts. I've used mine to slice blanks from 48" circular saw blades once I've cut them in half with a side grinder. Much easier than you'd think.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H