View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
But proper use of a good grinding jig is very consistent when used properly. I will use a grinding fixture for small knives in particular and double edged blades for consistency. I have tried to do a double edged knife freehand, but I never get it as close than when I use a jig.

I've been doing this since 1992 and started freehand with a 3x21(?) belt sander clamped to a table. LOL I don't see an issue with using a jig to start, IF it's a well designed fixture. I used one at the machine shop where I worked for hollow grinds and they were nigh on close to being perfect. I will start a knife freehand, but depending on its configuration I may end the grind with a jig, just depends and may go the other way. Start with the jig and finish freehand. Yes and no. LOL

Yes I can freehand and I do on my 2x48 grinder, but my 1x42 gives better results with a grinding jig sometimes and especially with the 600 grit and higher polishing belts.

To each his own I guess.
Im with Jimm on this one. Yeah, you can do a lot more freehand and its worth spending the time to learn how, but jigs are a handy little cheat to make the process easier. Sure, you wont be doing any internal curves like a kukhri or fancy variable angle grinds, but unless you need to make those sorts of grinds, well, easy can be good.

As for getting the plunge lines lined up and symmetrical, it just takes practice. Going off the description, sounds to me like the angle of the plunge changes from side to side, i.e on side 'A', the plunge line is 90 degrees to the edge, but on side 'B' the plunge is 80 degrees? If thats the case, sounds like something is either wrong with the jig or the grinder. Either the blade isnt secured at the same angle to the jig for both sides, or the belt doesnt run square to the table of the grinder