View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 08:13 AM
Steel Addict

Sam =

There ya go. Scales, no scales. Scales, no scales. Again, to me, it just isn't that big of a deal that one of the boys may or may not have taken the scales off. I think the important thing is the intent of the design and it coming to fruition the rules the day.

I do not recall seeing an Astro that was made for the general public in a canteen snap sheath. The knives were not available through normal channels when the sheaths were being used. Come to think of it, I don't know if I have seen one in a double brown button sheath. That being the case, it would lend itself to orders for the knife prior to that period were ordered w/o sheaths for display (very,very few) with a bigger influx by late 63 into 64 when the 'standard' split-back with harness rivets was in play.

Just read this in Gaddis on page 187. The knife was offered to the public as the model 17 in May of 1963, generally well beyond the canteen snap era and in to the standard split-back period. So, that would put it beyond the dbl brown also for all practical purposes. It would be interesting if one showed up that was legit, and probably the earliest delivered to the general public with a sheath.

Last edited by crutchtip; 09-06-2018 at 08:15 AM.