View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 04:20 PM

When I arrived in California, I had about 4 yrs. of duty in the Utah and Washington National Guard under my belt. This time consisted of 3 years in the Field Artillery, with the 105 mm, 155 mm and 8" SP Howitzers in Utah and about a year in the Infantry in Washington. I signed up for a Supply Unit in Long Beach for my last year or so. When I had to go to summer camp, Bob was very supportive and paid me for my time gone out of the shop. He was always supportive of me in most anything I did, or had to do with the Guard, monthly drills and a parade, or whatever now and then. I had a key to the shop and had free run of it and the equipment. One morning I stopped in at the shop to pick up a postage stamp at 0700 while on my way back to summer camp and hear me heard me drive up, I guess. He probably wondered what the heck I was doing in the shop so early and came rushing in to see, but all he did was say hi and to wish me a good day. Pretty early for a guy who habitually worked until 11pm - midnight almost every day/night! I was allowed to go home each night since my summer camp was at an old missile base near the coast down by the old Marineland resort. I had arrived in California too late in the year, June, to go to Camp Roberts for Summer Camp so they assigned me to this little place down by the ocean to, ".....serve my time" basically mowing lawns and doing grounds mtnse. It did beat going out to Dugway in Utah with those old 8" SP's grinding the dirt into fine, fine dust and then having a foot of mud when it rained. Quite the military career, huh? Bob totally supported our military forces.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 12-16-2010 at 03:00 AM. Reason: edit, add text