Thread: Homeade Micarta
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Question Homeade Micarta

Pardon if I placed this in the wrong place. I decided last night to make some micarta. I already had played with the idea, had my fabric cut, resin, mixing bowl, and clamps arranged. I set it together last night around 1:45, and closed up for the night to let it dry.
Got out in the shop at 11 ish this morning. It looked alright at first glance. When I clamped it together my pile got a little off kilter, but hey it was try number one. I sawed off the excess resin on the sides and either end, as well as scraped it off my bench. Took me awhile to file it down enough to see my pattern. Pretty cool green, and orange alternating with layers of grey white inbetween.
Where I screwed up at was I used what fabric I had on hand, couple of green prints, solid, solid green, kinda off green, some camo, and 3 peices of khaki. It all came out well except where the print fabric was... Lesson learned use solid color fabric, not print. (Solids cheaper anyway). I'd post some pics but the cameras acting squirrely.
Do ya'll have any tips or tricks to making micarta?