View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 PM

When I bought my first grinder I felt the square wheel was the most versatile for the price,just under $900.00 at the time, it's the only one I use. Would I like another grinder?, OH
YEA. It can be limited in several areas and one of them is doing any fine work above about 220 for two main reasons, one is it is too fast and the other is the stock wheels are much too hard for finer grits. you can purchase a step down pulley and softer wheels but at an expense of course, or you can learn to make do with what you have and compensate.
What I do when grinding the main bevels is using a fresh as in new, good quality 60 belt and do most of the grind then go up in grits again using fresh,new belts (don't worry you will always have other operations for these slightly used belts and they wont go to waste)
sometimes you can get several blades out of these belts if you are careful. Each time as you go up in the grits you need to use less and less pressure or you will overheat and develop a harmonic vibration that is nerve wracking and will damage the blade especially at the tips.
It sounds like a lot of compensating to make do with what you have but it can be done with patience and time. If you have the resources, oh my goodness, get a variable speed grinder with extra duro wheels and your grinding will be a joy, I have used other makers grinders and didn't realize how much I have had to put up with, but at the same time the Wilton gets the job done and have never regretted the purchase. Maybe when I grow up I too will have a variable speed grinder with an assortment of wheels!! (Sorry it was so wordy, R.J.)