Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers

If we allow 'custom' to mean any knife made by any knife maker for any
reason then what is the difference bewteen:

"I make custom knives".

and

"I make knives".

?????????
Ray, I don't think there IS a difference between those two, at least not in the sense in which we are discussing them. (I think there is a difference between saying "I am a knifemaker" and "I am a guy who has made knives" but that is another discussion all together.)

While there are makers out there that do not take orders from customers, they are probably few. So, it has become customary (another association with the word, custom) to call a person who makes knives a "custom knifemaker."

Let's say that a knifemaker typically has 3 or 4 models that they make and sell. That person, according to you, would not make custom knives. But if he is out of stock on his model #3, and a customer makes a request for that model, but makes no specifications as to anything different than what is normally done in the knife's production, is it then a custom knife simply because a person has ordered it?

If a customer orders a knife from a maker without providing any specifications at all, then is that NOT a custom knife?

So, if I make a knife without specifications from another person, and sell that knife to a customer, can they no longer be called a customer? Would they simply be the buyer?