View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 05:43 PM

As 'Johnny come lately' to this conversation, I'll offer my meager advise for what it's worth.

I have a couple bowie projects rolling now and you are considering many of the same things I have.

Bear in mind: A bowie was/is not used like kukris or karambits. Kali and tantojitsu are not fighting styles for the bowie. If you study photos of bowies from the 1830s and even many today, you'll notice that the handle arcs upward from the spine of the knife or curves with it. I deduct that there is a reason for that. When these guys decided to throw down with each other, they grabbed a handfull of jacket or sideburns and thrust upward into the other man's body repeatedly. This technique also explains the clip-point (gets between ribs). It also explains why these knives got longer and longer--it gave reach advantage.
Yea..., they were no ninjas.

The good news is that this technique is also ideal for bear defense. Grab some fur. Hold the beast at arm's length, and thrust, thrust, thrust!

With all this in mind (assuming you buy my logic), I think 3/16" 1084 is awesome. 5/32" might be getting a tad thin.
Clay quench in 120-140 degree oil (I use peanut oil). Cold oil won't do it.
If you go hidden tang, use at least two pins to reduce the tendency for things to pivot as the joints and mating surfaces age and absorb stress.
A false edge is advisable.

Chopping shouldn't even be considered for designed performance--slashing..., maybe.

I think of an actual fighting bowie as a hand-held bayonet with a blade wide enough to hurt really bad when twisted.

Have fun with it!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."