View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Hardness and flexibility tend to increase and decrease in opposition to each other. I would also think that your experimental alloy might not have enough chromium in it to be quenched between aluminum plates. With those high temperature alloys in it I would expect more of an increase in strength than toughness but someone with more knowledge of metallurgy would be a better judge. With that much carbon and high temperature carbides you're going to need a regulated oven or a molten salt tank to austenize in with longer soaks at higher than normal temperatures. Then, as pointed out above, you're going to have to arrive at your own heat treating schedules which would probably mean sending test sections out to a lab for testing. What you are contemplating goes far beyond add a little of this and add a little of that and have someone roll it out in 1/4" plates.

However, if forced to answer your question what I would make is a bloomery steel being that making it yourself is about the only way to get any. And that's a real crap shoot.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Lester; 08-01-2016 at 08:32 PM.