View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast

Doug, I'm glad to hear you are doing that vinegar soak AFTER tempering. I've read all about the need for tempering right after HT.
I might be playing with some vinegar forced patina down the road, but I wasn't planning on using vinegar specifically as a cleaner after tempering as you are.
Do you encounter any decarb pitting or just scale when you HT your 1095? Do you have just a minor amount of finish grinding/sanding to do? I realize there will always be finishing to do (and I want to), especially if I leave my blade edge a little thicker for HT.
But.....I would really rather avoid as much scale formation as possible and don't want ANY decarb. I would prefer to just coat my blades with something that won't cost too much.
I heard that some people have used Ivory soap, Dawn dish detergent (dried) or soot from an acetylene torch (O2 turned off). How well any of these less expensive home brews work I'm not sure. I realize they are just used to keep the O2 off the blade.
I do NOT want to add any special system to my kiln to create special atmospheres.
My elect. kiln will be fairly air tight.....I read that some people have added a piece of charcoal to their fairly air tight elect. kiln to help burn up the O2. How successful that is I don't know.
DAVID