View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 11:15 PM

Yay, winner, winner, chicken dinner to cnccutter!

Now for the biggie, can you tell me anything about this particular knife. I haven't contacted the shop yet, or taken it back to get the official opinion, but I sure am jonesing to find out more about it's age.

I got this particular knife after my grandfather died. My step-father was little jealous about it. Years after that, I was going through Bonner on the way to Christmas from college and stopped in to the shop. I didn't have the knife with me at the time. That was around 1975. Rudy brightened up when I described it, but without being able to eyeball it, all he could tell me is that it sounded like an old-timer.

Then he sold me a newer version of his wares so I could present my step dad with his own Ruana. I ended up with that one back too after he died.

I was just getting around to cleaning this knife after a successful hunt, when I got to looking for information on how to get some of the tarnish off.

Until then, I didn't really have a clue that these things have become valuable collectors items, so now I would even feel guilty about hacking more elk with it, or at least avoid taking a rock to the back of it to break bone. I have the feeling Rudy would be pissed and tickled at the same time.

I think I paid $40 bucks for the aluminum version in '75, plus a promise to drop off an elk shed, that I still owe him forty years later.