Thread: Forge help
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Guru

I have lived in an apartment for quite a while. I was fortunate to have worked in a machine shop with heat treating facilities. I also have two grinders, a 2x48 Dayton and a 1x42 with an 8" disk Delta, sitting on a cart for taking outside to grind.
After I was laid off I lived about 300 yards away from a North Carolina community college that had blacksmithing and knife forge classes. I traded advanced TIG welding techniques lessons for forge and hammer time as they had two Little Giant 50 lb trip hammers.

You live in NC so first I suggest you check the local community colleges and see if there are blacksmithing classes available, if not then send your blades out for heat treating. I suggest Peters Heat Treating in Meadville Pennsylvania. Their prices are in line with others and they do an excellent job for most steels. Actually you'll find their prices such that you will want to make more knives to send them because they have a set price of $128 for 4 to 15 blades whereas a single up to three knives are $32 each. That price includes a cryo treatment for most stainless and some alloy steels. They have the liquid nitrogen, take advantage of it.

By the way l have since moved to the desert Southwest, I'm tired of cold and snow as l lived in the mountains in WNC. But no blacksmith classes here so I use Peters.